Sometimes a fluffy pancake is lovely but there is times when you want a traditional French crepe. It took me a while to find a recipe free from gluten and dairy and in the end I ended up tweaking a couple of recipes to find the perfect one.
You can adapt this recipe to suit any topping, sweet or savoury. I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.
- 2 tablespoons gluten free plain flour (we use doves farm).
- 3 tablespoons dairy free milk (we use almond or coconut milk).
- 3 large eggs.
- Either 1/2 teaspoon salt for savoury crepes or 1/2 teaspoon sugar for sweet crepes.
- Something to grease your pan. We use the cooking mist spray from Kirkland signature. You can find this at Costco.
- Crack the eggs into a jug and whisk with a fork.
- Add the milk and flour and mix thoroughly until there are no lumps and the batter is completely smooth.
- Add salt or sugar and mix through.
- Heat your pan over a medium heat until the pan is hot.
- Pour in 1/4 of the mixture and swirl the pan to distribute into a thin layer.
- Cook for 30-60 seconds or until the pancake becomes “unstuck” and easy to flip. Cook for a further 30-60 seconds.
- Serve and top with toppings of choice.
This recipe makes enough for 4 8 inch pancakes and takes less than 10 minutes to make. Perfect for a lazy morning “treat” breakfast or as a snack any time of the day.
These are some of the toppings we have tried and loved!
- Lemon juice and sugar
- Banana and honey
- Fresh berries and dairy free natural yogurt
- Dairy free chocolate spread
- Tomatoes and avocado
- Ham and dairy free cheese
- Salmon and asparagus.
The crepes are quite sturdy and this makes them good to roll or use as a wrap.