Let’s face it. The bread selection in mainstream supermarkets is lacking when you have multiple allergies. We normally just stick to standard sliced bread and tortilla wraps. Sometimes though, a baguette or French bread stick, just can’t be beaten. Roo loves bread with his meals but you can’t really serve a slice of normal bread with a pasta dish.
So, this is where the mission began to create a French style bread that could be served with a meal or eaten warm with (dairy free) butter on as a snack.
This recipe is brilliant. It’s quick, easy and tastes delicious. We hope you enjoy this as much as we have.
3 cups plain gluten free flour (we use doves farm)
3 tsp xantham gum (only needed if your flour blend does not contain already.)
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp dry active yeast
2 tsp sugar
1.5 cups very warm water
2 eggs slightly beaten (to make this egg free replace with 2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbsp water and leave to rest for 5 minutes)
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp melted dairy free butter (we use vitalite)
- Start by mixing together the yeast, sugar and water. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.
- If you’re using the flax mixture to replace the egg prepare this now and leave to rest.
- Combine the flour, salt and xantham gum(if using) throughly.
- Stir together the eggs (or flax mixture), oil and apple cider vinegar. Give the yeast mixture another stir and add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- Using a stand mixer, beat on low until all the ingredients and throughly combined. Then increase the speed to medium and beat for a further 2-3 minutes. If you do not have access to a stand mixer then beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture looks like a very thick, non runny, batter.
- Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper and lightly grease.
- Spoon the mixture into 2 long thin sausage shapes and smooth as much as possible with the back of the spoon.
- Slash the top of the bread with a sharp knife diagonally.
- Brush the melted butter over both bread sticks.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes uncovered. Preheat the oven to 200c and place an ovenproof dish full of water in the bottom of the oven to create steam. This will make the bread crispy outside and soft inside.
- Once risen, bake for 40 minutes. Once baked it should be golden and hollow when tapped.
- Remove from the baking sheet and place on a cooling rack immediately.
- Serve and enjoy! This bread can be enjoyed fresh out of the oven or once cooled. It will keep fresh for upto 3 days if stored correctly.