We previously made these cupcakes last year before Roos allergies had been diagnosed. I knew I definitely wanted to make them again, but as always, didn’t want to exclude Roo. This recipe is absolutely beautiful. It tastes no different to the original and later this week we will also be posting a completely egg free version too!
The frosting is amazing! And even though it’s called marshmallow frosting there’s not a marshmallow in sight.
For the cupcakes
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder.
- 1.25 cups caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free plain flour (we used Doves Farm)
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk (we used almond)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red food colouring ( I used 1/2 teaspoon sugar flair food gel)
For the marshmallow frosting
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a cupcake tray with paper liners.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in a jug.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Fill the cupcake “cups” approximately 3/4 full. This recipe will yield 12-18 dependant on the size of your tray.
- Bake until the cupcake springs back to the touch or a skewer inserted comes out clean. Approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool fully before frosting.
- Place all the frosting ingredients into a small pan and whisk continuously over a medium heat for approximately 5 minutes until hot to the touch.
- Transfer to a stand mixer or another bowl and whisk on high speed until the mixture is forming stiff peaks.
- Transfer to mixture to a piping bag or large food bag. Snip off the end of the piping bag or one corner of the food bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.