We have family to visit every couple of weeks and always provide sweet treats to go with the teas and coffees. As always, I hate roo being excluded from what everyone else is eating and love finding safe alternatives for roo that everyone will enjoy.
This orange cake is beautifully soft and fluffy and tastes amazing. We use oil rather than butter and it makes the cake beautifully moist. We hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
- 130ml olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (we use Nielsen Massey)
- 185ml milk of choice. (We use koko coconut milk normally, we have used almond milk with the same results).
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g gluten free plain flour (we use Doves Farm)
- 0.5 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 0.5 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 orange (optional)
- 2 tablespoons smooth marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Prepare a loaf tin. We line with a loaf tin liner for ease.
- In a large bowl combine the oil, eggs, orange extract and milk. Mix well to ensure the mixture is fully combined.
- Add the sugar to the wet mixture and beat well.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt into the large bowl. Stir well and ensure there are no lumps in the batter.
- *Optional* If using the orange zest stir this in now.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and place into the centre of the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. The cake should be golden and spring back to the touch.
- Spoon the marmalade over the cake while still hot.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.