For this recipe we have collaborated with the lovely Stephanie from You are My Sonshine. We have both produced our own versions of Southern fried chicken, ours as always is allergen friendly and Stephanie’s is a “normal” version. You can find Stephanie’s version here :
It looks delicious!
Our version is Gluten, Dairy and soya free and baked rather than fried. I normally don’t like chicken on the bone but this is tender, beautifully tasty and incredibly moreish.
This will produce 8 pieces of chicken and takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 50-60 minutes to cook.
- 8 pieces of chicken, skin on (thigh or drumsticks are best)
- 180g Gluten free plain flour or Ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- Sea salt and black pepper (to own taste)
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika OR 1/2-1 teaspoon cayenne if you like it spicy.
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Prepare your baking tray. I like to use a wire rack for even cooking and to prevent the underside of the chicken from being soggy. You can line the tray or spray with cooking oil.
- In a large bowl, stir to thoroughly combine, the flour or almonds, salt, pepper, paprika or cayenne, cumin, thyme, oregano, garlic and onion powders.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs.
- Dip each piece of chicken, separately, first into the egg and then into the flour mixture to fully coat each chicken piece.
- Place onto the baking tray and into the centre of your oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes turning half way through.
- The chicken should be golden and if you pull a piece apart the juices should run clear.
- Serve! We like to serve with chunky chips and “loaded” beans.