This cake is perfect for serving to guests. You get a lot of portions, its light and fluffy and you can easily change the tin to a “themed” tin. It’s beautifully tasty and a little goes a long way. Gluten, soya free and Vegan it’s brilliant for most.
This cake takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 50-55 minutes to bake. I would say you would get approximately 12-16 servings depending on serving size.
- 400ml Dairy free milk of choice
- 200g apple purée (we generally use the baby food purées for ease)
- 185ml sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 500g gluten free plain flour ( we like Doves Farm)
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (ensure its gluten free)
- 300g caster sugar
- 100g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-5 tablespoons boiling water.
- Preheat the oven to 180c and prepare your tin. We use a cooking oil spray but you can use a little extra sunflower oil. Make sure the tin is well greased.
- Into a large mixing bowl add the milk, apple purée, oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into the wet mixture and add the caster sugar. Fold in until combined well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes until golden and risen. A cocktail stick inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing whisk together the icing sugar, vanilla and water until you have a smooth, thick but runny glaze. Drizzle over the cake.