Cupcakes are a staple sweet treat in most households these days and ours is no different. We love them… probably too much! But we also love the different flavours that go with cupcakes and don’t just settle for plain old vanilla, as nice as they are.
We picked up a lemon cupcake from a local market recently that we absolutely loved and I decided I had to have a go at recreating it. This recipe is so quick and easy it’s a definite favourite for future. It’s also absolutely delicious, fluffy and soft. Everything you want in a cupcake.
In the future I will try adding a buttercream style swirl but as is, this is delicious and I’m sure everyone will enjoy as much as we do.
This recipe will yield 12 cupcakes and takes approximately 10 minutes preparation and 15-18 minutes baking time.
- 100g Dairy Free Margarine (We use Vitalite)
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 200g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour (We use Doves Farm)
- 2 teaspoons Gluten Free Baking Powder
- Grated Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional but we like the extra lemony hit)
- 200ml Dairy free milk
- Lemon Curd
- Icing Sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line a muffin tray with paper cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Sift over the flour and baking powder, add the lemon zest, extract and milk. Beat together into a smooth and creamy batter.
- Divide the mixture between 12 paper cases and tap the tray against the bench to smooth the top.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes in the centre of the oven. The cakes should be golden and spring back to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcake should remove clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled, use a sharp knife to remove a small circle from the top of the cupcake. Fill this hole with half a teaspoon of lemon Curd. Sift over a little icing sugar for decoration. Serve!