The sun was shining and it started to feel like spring. The vegetables I would normally add into winter warmer meals were calling me to make something light, refreshing and healthy. Risotto was the first thing that sprung to mind and I’m so glad I went with it. This Risotto was so full of flavour and colour, it made it impossible to resist seconds.
The rice was cooked perfectly, the vegetables were cooked but still had a crunch to them and the flavours were like a burst of freshness on the tongue.
If you like vegetables and you want something fresh, I would definitely go for this. I’m almost certain you’ll enjoy it as much as we did.
This recipe produces enough for 2 adult and 2 child portions and will take about 30 minutes to make.
- 175g Arborio Risotto rice.
- 100ml Dry white wine.
- 1 courgette.
- 1 carrot.
- 1 red onion.
- Half a cup frozen peas.
- 100g asparagus.
- Half a large red pepper.
- 1 Knorr Vegetable stock pot made with 500ml boiling water or 500ml other Vegetable stock.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon dairy free, vegan Butter.
- Start by preparing your vegetables. Chop these into similar sized small pieces.
- Heat the oil over a medium heat in a large, deep sided frying pan. Add the onion and pepper and sweat for 3-4 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the rice and stir well to ensure it is fully coated in the olive oil. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine to the pan and bring to the boil. Cook for 3 minutes to allow to alcohol to cook away.
- Add the carrots and 100ml of the Vegetable stock and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add a further 100ml of stock and cook for 2-3 minutes until the rice has soaked up the majority and repeat with a further 100ml stock.
- Add the courgette and asparagus and the remaining stock. Allow to cook for 6-8 minutes or until the rice is cooked to your liking.
- Stir through the peas and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir through the butter until it is fully melted. Serve!
Let us see your pictures if you recreate this recipe. Tag us on Instagram #thebudgetallergykitchen.