I LOVE carrot cake, really love it! I’ve used the same recipe for about 10 years to make the most delicious, soft, moist cake. I decided recently that I would adapt this to make it suitable for Roo and I’m so glad I did! You honestly cannot tell this is an allergy friendly cake and everyone will enjoy it.
This is also one of the quickest and easiest cakes we have ever made. A few steps and 10 minutes of your time will prepare the batter and 55-60 minutes baking time will yield perfection. I created this in a 8 inch round tin but it would work just as well in a loaf tin. Serves 8 generously. You could top this with a vegan cream cheese frosting but it’s just as tasty plain.
- 225g Gluten free Plain flour (We use Doves Farm)
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder (ensure this is gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger
- 175g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
- 225g Grated Carrots
- 25g Grated Fresh Root Ginger
- 60g Raisins
- 2 tablespoons Ground Flax seed mixed with 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- Juice of 1 medium Orange
- Preheat the oven to 180c and prepare your baking tin of choice. I use an oil spray and line the bottom of the tray with a piece of parchment paper.
- Into a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and Ground ginger. Stir well to combine.
- Into the same bowl add the sugar, grated carrots, grated ginger and raisins. Stir well to combine.
- Add the flax seed mixture, oil and orange juice and stir again until fully combined.
- Pour into the tin and smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 55-60 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Decorate as required and serve!