Easter is of course the time for chocolate but we also love a traditional Simnel Cake. Lighter than a traditional fruitcake and with the added layer of marzipan it is truly a delicious cake.
- 400g Marzipan
- 1 Apple, grated
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 125ml Sunflower Oil
- 75ml Water
- 1 teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 1 teaspoon Xantham Gum
- 175g Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 300g Dried Mixed Fruit
- 2 tablespoons warm Apricot Jam
- Divide the Marzipan into 3 sections. Using one section Roll 11 small balls. Roll the other 2 sections to approximately 5mm thick, and then using the tin you’re using for baking cut out circles. Place to one side.
- Preheat the oven to 160c and grease and line an 8inch deep round tin.
- Add the apple, sugar, oil and water into a large bowl and beat well.
- Add the spice, gum and flour and stir to combine. Pour in the dried fruit and stir again until fully combined.
- Pour half of the mixture into the tin. Then lay one Marzipan circle on top. Pour the remaining mixture on top and smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Lightly cover with parchment to avoid burning and cracking and place into the centre of the oven.
- Allow to bake for 90-105 minutes. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, spread a little warm jam over the top and decorate with the remaining Marzipan circle. Using a little more warm Jam fix the Marzipan balls to the top.