It’s almost Cinco de Mayo so I thought we would try something a little bit different, that is great for breakfast, brunch or a light lunch. We love Mexican flavours and we love to put our own spin on things too. This dish went down really well with Roo and myself and it’s definitely something we will be eating again and again.
This recipe is super easy to make, either allergy friendly or not and can be made as spicy as you prefer. Taking no more than 15 minutes prep time and about 20 minutes baking time you will have an amazing, healthy and filling meal.
- 1 handful per portion, Gluten Free Tortilla Chips. (We used R W Garcia Ancient Grains tortilla chips)
- 2 Eggs per adult portion, 1 per Child’s portion.
- Dairy and Soya Free Cheese to sprinkle on top. (We used Violife)
- For the Sauce –
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion, diced
- 1/2 small Green Bell Pepper
- 1/3-1 Jalepeno, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (3-400g) carton Passata
- Preheat the oven to 200c.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, garlic and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Cook until lightly browned and softened. Approx 5 minutes. Add the Passata and simmer for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. You can use the sauce as is or pour into a blender to blitz down until smooth.
- Into individual dishes, spoon the sauce and then arrange the tortilla chips around the edges. Crack two eggs into the centre of the dish and sprinkle a little grated cheese over the top. Place into the centre of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese has melted and the eggs are fully cooked.