Roo and I love Apple pie and Apple crumble. We would eat it every day if we had the chance. But sometimes having a handheld version of one of our favourite desserts really comes in handy.
These Apple Turnovers are great to grab on the go, pack into a picnic or snack on when you get that sweet craving. There’s so many options with these simple Turnovers you can really create something perfect for you. Add raisins or sultanas, fresh destoned cherries or even a crumble mixture you would usually add to the top of an Apple crumble.
These take approximately 30 minutes preparation and then 15 minutes baking. You can also make the filling the day before and refrigerate until you’re ready to make the turnovers. This recipe will make 4 good sized portions.
- 1 package Gluten Free Puff Pastry, we use Jus-roll for ease.
- 1/2 green cooking Apple: peeled, cored and finely diced.
- 1/2 tablespoon Maple Syrup or Light Brown Sugar.
- 1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice.
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon.
- 1/4 cup Dairy free Milk of choice.
- Prepare the filling. Finely dice the green cooking Apple. Place into a small saucepan with the maple syrup or sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Heat over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the Apple has softened slightly but still has crunch. Allow to cool for atleast 10 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Prepare the Pastry. If necessary roll out the Pastry approximately 5 millimetres thick. Use a large fluted Pastry cutter to cut out 8 rounds. Place 4 of the Pastry rounds onto the prepared baking tray.
- Add a scoop of the Apple mixture to the centre of each Pastry round. Brush the edges with a little dairy free milk. Top with another Pastry round and using a fork push the edges together to create a seal.
- Using the fork, prick the top of each turnover to allow steam to escape. Brush each turnover with a little extra milk and sprinkle a little caster sugar over.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-18 minutes, until lightly golden and the Pastry is cooked through.
- Allow to cool before serving.