Chocolate cake is a food sent from heaven and this recipe is definitely a gift! The cake itself is soft, moist and the tiniest bit crumbly. It has a rich chocolatey flavour and will satisfy the biggest sweet tooth. The frosting is decadent, thick, rich and oh so moreish. (I may or may not have sat and ate the leftovers with a spoon!). The perfect accompaniment to this cake is a handful of fresh raspberries, the tartness cuts the sweetness of the cake just enough.
- 1.5 cups Gluten Free Plain flour.
- 1/2 cup good quality Dark Cocoa powder. Ensure this is Dairy free.
- 1 cup Caster Sugar.
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar.
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 1/2 teaspoon Xantham Gum (only use if your flour blend does not include gum).
- 1 cup unsweetened Dairy free Milk of choice.
- 1/3 cup Sunflower oil.
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla.
- 6 tablespoons good quality Dark Cocoa powder.
- 1/4 cup Dairy free margarine.
- 2 cups Icing sugar.
- 2-3 tablespoons Unsweetened Dairy free Milk of choice.
- 1/2 teaspoon Pure vanilla extract.
- Handful fresh raspberries.
- Preheat oven to 180c and prepare your baking tin. Spray with non stick cooking spray and line the base of the tin with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, Cocoa, sugars, Bicarbonate of Soda, salt and baking powder. Add the Xantham Gum if using. Ensure this is well mixed.
- Add the wet ingredients and whisk well until fully combined. You should have a thick, runny batter.
- Pour into the baking tray and bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 minutes. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting stir the cocoa powder and melted margarine together. Add the icing sugar, vanilla and milk and mix well to combine. You should have a thick, spreadable frosting.
- Once the cake is cooled spread the frosting and top with the raspberries.