Banana bread in itself is an absolutely deliciously yummy snack at any time of day. This chocolate version takes it one step further into Cake territory and makes it the perfect afternoon snack with a cup of tea.
Slightly sweeter than a normal banana bread this cake will definitely satisfy a sweet craving without being overly sweet. And allergen friendly so that everyone can enjoy the same treat makes it all the sweeter to me.
This recipe will produce one large loaf cake and takes only 15 minutes of preparation time.
- 1.25 cups Gluten Free Plain Flour. (We use Doves Farm).
- 1 cup Caster Sugar.
- 1/2 cup Cocoa powder or cacao. (Ensure this is allergy friendly).
- 1/2 teaspoon Xantham Gum. (Exclude if your flour blend contains gum).
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda.
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder.
- Pinch of salt.
- 1/3 cup Sunflower Oil.
- 2.5 Tablespoons Water.
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.
- 2 very ripe Bananas.
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Line a large loaf tin with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl combine all of the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Add the remaining wet ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir well to combine. You will have a thick, pourable batter.
- Pour into the loaf tin and place into the centre of the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Once cooked a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake should remove clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for upto 30 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.