It’s summer and pineapple is one of those perfect summer fruits. And what’s better than to combine the perfect summer fruit and a deliciously soft and light cake. This version of the traditional Pineapple upside down cake is gluten, dairy, soya, egg, but free and vegan.
The sponge is deliciously soft and moist with a delicate vanilla flavour whilst the syrupy topping and citrus of the pineapple gives an incredible sweetness all in one go. The tang of the pineapple gives the perfect cut through the sweetness of the syrup and glacé cherries.
This cake is super easy to make taking no more than 15 minutes preparation and 40-45 minutes baking time. The recipe will produce a 9 inch round cake. You could also use individual large muffin tins and one pineapple ring per cake to make individual servings of the cake.
- 230g Gluten Free Plain flour. We like Doves Farm
- 230g Caster Sugar.
- 4 teaspoons Baking Powder. Ensure this is gluten free, like this version here.
- 1 teaspoon Xantham Gum.
- 4 tablespoons Ground Flax seed mixed with 12 tablespoons cold water. (You can use 4 large eggs if you’re not avoiding eggs).
- 3 tablespoons Dairy free Milk of choice.
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract.
- 230g Dairy and Soya free Margarine.
- 1 tin Pineapple rings.
- Glacé cherries.
- 60g Dairy and Soya free margarine.
- 100g Light Brown sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 180c and lightly grease a 9inch round baking tin. Ensure this does not have a loose or springform base as the syrup topping will escape.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer combine all of the cake ingredients until you have a smooth, thick batter.
- In a small saucepan over a medium heat, melt the margarine and brown sugar until you have a smooth syrup.
- Pour the syrup into the base of the greased tin. Place the pineapple rings and glacé cherries into the tin. Pour the batter over and gently smooth.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40-45 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
*This post contains affiliate links. Whilst using the links will not cost you any more we may benefit from a commission which allows us to continue to test and review recipes and products.*