I haven’t made a cake for what feels like weeks and with the British weather being its unpredictable self at the moment, a cake was definitely needed. Not just any cake but a cake that evokes autumn from the scent to the taste. This cake is perfect for any time of year but I absolutely love making it in autumn/winter as the smell whilst cooking is divine and truly makes me think of autumn.
What makes this cake even better is how unbelievably simple it is to make. It takes literally no more than 5 minutes preparation, the only patience needed is to allow it to cool before digging in! It stores well in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- 525g Gluten Free Plain Flour, we use Doves Farm.
- 1/2 teaspoon Xantham Gum. Omit this if your flour blend contains gum.
- 250g Soft Dark Brown Sugar.
- 3-4 teaspoons Ground Ginger.
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder.
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda.
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon Allspice.
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil.
- 4 tablespoons Black treacle.
- 225ml water.
- Preheat the oven to 180c and line an 8inch square baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and mix well until completely combined. You will have a thick, sticky batter.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin and smooth lightly with the back of a spatula.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 35-40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before serving.