It’s autumn! We can finally start making those warm, hearty and homely dishes that we love. Stews, hot puddings … anything homely and comforting. I thought this cake was the perfect start to our autumn recipes. Still light but deliciously spiced it is the perfect transition between summer and autumn.
- 500g Gluten Free Plain Flour.
- 200g Light Brown Sugar.
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon.
- 2 teaspoons Ground Ginger.
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg.
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Allspice.
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder.
- 1 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda.
- 1 teaspoon Salt.
- 160ml Dairy free Milk.
- 115ml Sunflower Oil.
- 100ml Hot water.
- 100g Caster Sugar.
- 75g Unsweetened Apple Sauce.
- 80g Black Treacle.
- 1.5 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar.
- 1.5 teaspoons Vanilla Extract.
- 135g Trex.
- 460g Icing Sugar.
- Zest of 1 orange.
- 1 tablespoons Maple Syrup.
- 2-3 Tablespoons Dairy Free Milk.
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract.
- Preheat the oven to 170c and prepare 2 8inch round cake tins. Oil the base and sides of the tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Into a large bowl add cake ingredients 1 to 9. Whisk to fully combine.
- Into a second large bowl add the remaining cake ingredients. Whisk well until fully combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet bowl and continue to whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide between the 2 baking tins. Place into the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 23-25 minutes. A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
- Once cool prepare the frosting. Unless already softened beat the Trex for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the remaining frosting ingredients and continue to beat well until you have a smooth, pipeable consisitency. Add more or less milk as necessary.
- Fill a large piping bag with the frosting and decorate and fill the cake as desired. Dust a little extra icing sugar over the top.